It's Father's Day. One of my favorite days of the year, and NOT just because I know Danny's gonna get chocolate at church and he HAS to share it with me, although that's a nice extra touch... :-)
It's a favorite day because I am so very grateful for Danny and for Dad and for Zack and Michael and for my brothers and my brothers-in-law and nephews and cousins and friends. Although some of those aren't biologically DADS, they have been terrific to our kids and grandkids and they are very loved along with those who ARE dads.
I'm grateful to be married to an incredible man-- my "Captain Moroni" (see Alma 48:11-13, 17 in the Book of Mormon).
Danny is a man of integrity, honor, kindness, compassion and patience. His sense of humor has made me laugh more times than I can count, and I pray I never get dementia because I want to always be able to retain my countless memories of him talking with Jessie and Michael, teaching them to live their lives as he does-- with integrity, honor, kindness, compassion, patience and love. Memories abound of Danny playing catch with both kids, with him running with Mike while talking about topics ranging anywhere from NBA players and Fantasy Football teams to lessons of life. Memories of Jessie's first date bring sweetness to my mind-- as I recall, they went out to eat (where?) and then spent an hour or two in a bookstore poring over their shared love of poetry. She couldn't have had a better date for her very first!

And now I am blessed to watch Danny as a beloved grandfather, loving these precious little grandchildren and being loved in return with "ooh hugs" from small, active bodies with tiny dimpled arms and hands. I am so grateful for Danny on Father's Day and every day.

I'm also grateful to have my dad. He taught all six of his kids to love so many things in life that we may not have noticed without his guidance and example.
His love of nature and of music has been instilled in each of us, and it's wonderful to watch as we have continued his legacy by sharing his loves with our own children and then watching Jess share Grandpa Claeys' favorites with HER children.


I am thankful for Zack as I watch him teach his children such important things as faith, prayer, love, patience, respect, thrift, service and hard work. Those little children are growing up to be pretty incredible people as they live the way their father (and mother-- but hey, its Father's Day!) teach them by word and deed.


I'm thankful for Michael-- for being the best uncle in the world and for loving his nieces and nephews so much. For being the type of uncle that prompts squeals of delight and joy when he and these precious little kids are blessed to be together. He'll be a terrific dad when that day comes.
I'm so grateful for the eternal connection we all have because of the fathers in our lives. Happy Father's Day to all of the wonderful fathers in my life!
No comments:
Post a Comment