Thursday, March 3, 2011

Out here on my own...

This is random, but ever since Thia Megia sang this song the other night on American Idol , I have been humming or singing it. I never saw the movie Fame, but I knew this song and have always loved it. Now I can't get it out of my head. Here's a link to listen to Thia and to the original '80s version:  Out Here On My Own


As I have contemplated the lyrics over and over, I realize that they have special meaning in my personal life. They reflect my relationship with the Savior.

For like the song says, I have my 'blue' days, and I often wonder if I really will be able to make it through this life. Like you, I sometimes feel alone and scared, and I feel that I don't fit in in certain situations, and many times I struggle with wondering just who I really am or if I can measure up to who I know I should be. I know the veil separating us from heaven is indeed thin-- I've had beautiful experiences to show me it's VERY thin-- but there are times it seems as thick as a brick wall.

The beautiful chorus of this song brings me back to the light and joy that I receive when I put my focus on the reality of my Savior. Whenever I take the opportunity to look at life with an eternal perspective, it's like closing my eyes so I can be with my Savior, begging Him to help me through and to (interesting thought) help me need Him.

One of my favorite scripture stories is the account of Peter walking on the Sea of Galilee. 

As long as he kept his eyes on his Savior, he was able to continue walking no matter how frightening the storm or how fierce the waves. The second he took his eyes off of Jesus, he became terrified of the height of the storm-driven waves and the blackness of the sea, and he immediately sank. But Jesus reached forth and pulled Peter back up. Peter could have drowned, but he CHOSE to reach up and grab hold of his Savior, and he lived. And learned an invaluable lesson about faith.




So... here are those lyrics.  See? I did NOT get off topic... Not really...

Out Here On My Own (from Fame)
Sometimes I wonder where I've been,who I am, do I fit in...
Make believing is hard alone... out here on my own.

We're always proving who we are, always reaching for the rising star
To guide me far and shine me home out here on my own.
When I'm down and feeling blue, I close my eyes so I can be with you. 
Oh, baby, be strong for me, baby, belong to me... Help me through... Help me need you.
Until the morning sun appears, making light of all my fears
I dry the tears I've never shown out here on my own.

When I'm down and feelinf blue, I close my eyes so I can be with you. 
Oh, baby, be strong for me, baby, belong to me... Help me through... Help me need you.

Sometimes I wonder where I've been, who I am, do I fit in...
I may not win, but I can't be thrown out here on my own.






2 comments:

  1. I understand about feeling down, and up, and mixed around, too. It's so raw. I don't know the song, but I know the sentiment. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Thia Magia. I love to say her name and the song has so much meaning to all of us this year. Sorry to miss your call last week. It was a bad week and I was depressed so you wouldn't want to talk to me. i'm much better now that all of the inspections are done and we are almost done fixing things. We should get a buy out offer next week. Then we can accept it in 30 days. I'm flying out March 16 thru 26 to Elko to buy a house YIPPEE!!! love you so much just know I think of you all the time. Hope life is good.

    ReplyDelete