Saturday, October 30, 2010

Rainbows on a dark morning

I haven't been sleeping well lately-- worrying about... well, everything currently going on with us. It's been weighing heavily on both Danny and me, and I think each of us is trying to carry the load alone.

The other morning, after a rough night, I felt prompted to get up and walk to the gym and hit a class. The minute I started walking, it started raining. It could have been miserable, but I thoroughly enjoyed my walk... because...



...about ten minutes into my walk, I looked up and saw a double rainbow.

I immediately thought of Gma Connie and my "Tiny Gma" (Mattie Clarke), and I was a little surprised to discover tears on my cheeks, although I shouldn't have been surprised at all. These two beloved grandmothers LOVED rainbows, and on this dark morning, I felt warmth and comfort when I saw that double rainbow shining upon me because it seemed like Gma Connie and Tiny Gma Mattie were together, smiling upon me and encouraging me with this beautiful sign from heaven.

Their message? "Everything's going to turn out all right. Hang in there and be patient and know that you are loved by your Heavenly Father. He's in charge here, and He has something wonderful in store for you and Danny!"

The 'doubleness' of the rainbows faded in and out over the next 45 minutes, but the "main" rainbow shone bright and complete the whole time, as the sun rose in the east and the rain came down on me.

Right before I got to the gym, a cloud covered the sun and my perfect rainbow couldn't be seen anymore, but I knew it was there still.  For me.  On a dark morning when I needed heavenly encouragement to keep going and to not give up hope or lose faith.

I'm glad I got up and walked to the gym that morning. I know with certainty that I was following a prompting of the spirit of the Lord. I need to always follow even simple promptings like the one I had that morning to get up and walk. It made all the difference. But I had to look UP to see the rainbow... I would have missed it if I kept my head down in the rain...

3 comments:

  1. Now, you win the prize for turning me into a snotty-nosed-blubbering-idiot.

    I know for a fact that Gma Connie is watching over us. I know she is busy with all of us! That is so sweet about the double rainbow, Laurie!

    You and Danny are in my prayers ALL THE TIME!!!

    Jamee
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jamee, for your prayers and love. You are the best mom and an incredible woman (and WRITER!!). I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto Jamee about Mom, and ditto Mom about Jamee. Thanks, you two, for putting my feelings into words so that YOU TWO can be the blubbering, snot-nosed cry babies, not I. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete