Danny and I had a great time in Utah last week visiting with Michael and Corey and with other dear family and friends. Hopefully I'll write more about that soon (I wrote already, but our internet connection is often very iffy here at my parents' home, and I lost that post...frustrating!!!).
On the final day of our visit, Danny received the sad news that he
wasn't selected for a job in Colorado Springs, one that we were SURE he'd get, and the next day he learned that none of the Denver applicants (him included) were selected for further interviews with the FBI. So it's been a rough week. And my poor parents are stuck with us for yet another week... or another month... We are so thankful for them!
We got home Thursday. I didn't feel like going to the gym and working out Friday morning since my heart was quite heavy, but I knew it would be good for me to get some exercise and I have come to enjoy the group classes offered at our local gym, so I went. Even though I was sorely tempted to just stay in bed.
I was one of the last people to show up for class, and the room was already crowded with motivated exercisers and their equipment. I almost turned around to leave, but two women smiled at me and one immediately started grabbing weights for me and the other brought me a mat. Wow. Such simple acts of kindness... had such a profound effect on me in a time of need. Although I had seen both women in classes prior to this morning, I didn't know their names, and I've never done anything more to them than smile and say hello. So they had no obligation or reason to show me any kindness on this difficult morning, and they had no idea how deeply their kind acts helped to lighten my load. They still don't know, even though I did thank them both for their help. Three days later I am still feeling indebted to them for exemplifying what it means to be Christlike.
I could never begin to count the times I've been blessed by the small acts of kindness shown to me by others, be they family members, friends or strangers, but I hope to pay closer attention so I will be more aware of the countless reasons why my cup runneth over.
And I hope to make a more concerted effort each day to live as my Savior would have me live. To look into the eyes of those around me and smile. To lend a hand. To send a card or drop off cookies "just because". To remember birthdays. To give my time and energy to someone who needs a listening ear or a kind touch. Yes, even to let a car into MY lane in front of me in heavy traffic!

Oh, Mom, I love and adore you. And I love those two women who were so simply kind to you. And, can you clarify something? It wasn't very clear in your blog. Do you like CHOCOLATE? I couldn't tell.
ReplyDeleteOh Laurie! You and Danny are in my prayers daily. I think of you guys often...very often...does that creep you out?
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you got my package and I prayed hard that you would understand the meaning. LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!!
Jamee
xoxo
P.S. I love that pic of you guys at Grandpa Goofy's grave. Seeing G. Connie in particular made me miss her so much. I feel her near me often and know that she is busy--busing helping all of us at times too.
I think you are quick to acknowledge acts of kindness because you are so quick to lend a helping hand. Just yesterday you spent buddy time with Brock which meant so much to him and also to me. He talked about it for hours. Thanks for lifting others when times are uncertain and tough. I love you dearly Laur.
ReplyDeleteHey, could I get a copy of the picture at the grave site. I remember the day we took that. Boy, I sure miss mom.
ReplyDelete